1. WHAT IS A GOOD PASSWORD STRATEGY?
To be honest, the safest strategy is to have completely different random strong passwords for all your accounts. But people are lazy and why use completely different complex passwords for all the dozens of forum accounts, online games etc? A lot of users use for certain categories of accounts the same base password, adapted in regards to each account. With this strategy it is much more easier to remember all passwords. Imagine you have accounts for 3 different categories of accounts: forums, games and shops and for each of them one certain base password which is adapted. Easy to remember isn’t it? But if you don’t use some accounts frequently you may forget to which category it belongs to or even worse you forget the adaption. This app helps to remember.
2. HOW CAN I SEE THE ORIGIN PASSWORD?
You cannot see the origin password, because it is never stored. Only the character type information of each character position is stored. But you can reveal some characters, which is of course stored. To see them, click on the pattern in the patterns list to open it and click on it to reveal it.
3. HOW CAN I ENCRYPT MY PATTERNS?
You can do it under “Settings” / “Security” and we highly encourage you to do so.
- Select “Encrypt patterns with password”
- Type a master password and repeat it.
- Decide whether to store the master password or not. If you store it, only your master password will unlock your data. If you don’t store it, any password will decrypt and unlock your data but in different ways.
- Decide whether to disturb similar patterns. This option is useful, when you are going to export your data into a JSON-file and if you have some patterns that are equal or similar, because they are also equal/similar if they are exported encryptetially. If you want to do that, a strong password is recommended, because a hacker could theoretically try all passwords as long as some of your patterns look similar/equal again. With a strong password, this would take hundreds of years.
4. I FORGOT MY ENCRYPTION PASSWORD. WHAT CAN I DO?
There is no built-in recovery for your password. So you need to try all of your possible permutations. :(
5. WHAT ARE TEMPLATES?
Templates can be used to create new patterns. You could create a base pattern as template and use it and adapt it to create new patterns. If you create a new template, you can also define some revealed characters or just empty placeholders. When you create a new pattern out of such a template, you only have to fill the placeholders with real characters.
6. WHAT ARE REVEALED CHARACTERS?
As patterns have no information about the real password, revealed parts of it could be helpful to remember the password behind the pattern. You could also reveal the complete password, but this is not the intention of this app. They should just help you to remember or distinguish the differences between different patterns inherit from the same base pattern (base password + adaptions).
7. WHAT ARE CATEGORIES?
Categories just help to group your patterns. You can enable “Group by category” in the pattern list.
8. DOES THIS APP COMMUNICATE WITH THE INTERNET?
NO! All data in the app will remain on your device, there is also no auto-backup or auto-sync.
9. HOW DOES THE APP TAKE CARE OF MY DATA?
With version 2 and above, all data, inclusive names and aditional texts, are stored AES-encrypted on the device. The app uses the Android-built-in functionality to achive this. In addition to that, the encryption password defined by the user is used to encrypt all patterns and revealed characters (for all versions). It is highly recommend to set such an encryption password by the user. Go to “Settings” / “Security” / “Ensure patterns with password”.
10. I WANT TO TRANSFER MY PATTERNS ETC. FROM MY OLD PHONE TO MY NEW ONE. HOW?
You can export and import all your patterns etc. under Settings / “Backup/Restore”. With “Backup” you can create a backup file of all your data on a certain destination (SD-Card, Google Drive, etc.). If you have encrypted your patterns, the file is also encrypted. But anyway, take care of the file, since it still contains sensible data. With “Restore” you can import such a file into the app on any device. You only have to transfer the file between the devices (e.g. with Google Drive). Note: If your source data is encrypted, the backup file is also encrypted. To import the file correctly you need the encryption password.